After establishing the first hardware for MOST25 Technology, the release recommendations were introduced. This method was used to investigate and validate new products according to the requirements for automotive applications. In order to have a common basis for this work an application recommendation was written  were released. Nevertheless, this approach also realizes some of the principles of robustness validation. Within the MOST community this approach is well proven, and mandatory not only for the German car manufacturers but for others as well.
After having some experience with different products also coming from diverse manufacturers, the concept of benchmarking was introduced. The goal of this method is to compare products with functionality with the best performance. The definition of best performance is based on the requirements for the automotive application. The challenge of this approach is that all relevant aspects are taken into account. In Figure 1 the relationship between these different limits is shown.
2. Principle of recommendation process
The recommendation process can be divided into several steps:
- Valid specification – based on the real operating conditions and common description of requirements
- Assessment of project – review of project flow, technical realization, planned verification steps, quality strategy, and assessment of the manufacturing facility if new technologies are used
- Review of measured data – the measurements are mainly done by the manufacturer Judgment – based on the results of the developed investigation tool
This paper describes the method to review the data and make an objective judgment of the tested devices. For this goal the test sequences are separated into different sections:
- Characterization respectively electrical distribution:Measurement of all important parameters over the whole range of conditions. These are normally the operating temperatures, supply voltages, and (for the receiver) the specified optical input power range
- Life time tests:Examples for this section are high temperature