AUTOSAR Basic Software for CAN-MOST Gateways
Networking in modern vehicles is based on several different bus systems. CAN, LIN and FlexRay are used in the body and power train areas. Multimedia and infotainment ECUs are networked primarily over the MOST bus. The exchange of information between networks is the task of gateway ECUs. They exist in various forms ranging from relatively simple gateways that only exchange minimal information between buses of the same kind to central gateways that interface to several buses of different types.
AUTOSAR offers ECU developers a solid software basis for interfacing their ECUs to CAN, LIN, FlexRay and Ethernet buses. Gateway tasks are handled by various software modules of the AUTOSAR architecture (Figure 1), depending on the specific functionality that is required.
Figure 1: Rough architecture of an AUTOSAR ECU
Routing Mechanisms in AUTOSAR
Per AUTOSAR specification, three mechanisms are available for routing data, each of which covers different use cases:
- PDU routing
- Signal routing
- Transport protocol routing, e.g. for diagnostic data
The PDU gateway is part of the PDU router (PDUR), and it routes entire data packets, the Protocol Data Units (PDUs), from one network to another. This type of routing assumes that the PDUs are defined in the same way on both the source and target networks, which means that the length and content of the PDUs must match. However, it should be noted that PDU routing is spontaneous routing: A PDU is routed as soon as it is received. Therefore, it is not possible to change the cycle time or send type. However, in some cases such conversions are necessary. Then routing must be performed over a signal gateway.
- No news
- Audi TT - a step towards the software-defined car
- Land Rover makes front part of vehicle 'invisible'
- EU agrees on charging plug for electric cars
- Higher supply voltage, better mileage: Continental, Schaeffler show how
- Continental acquires British engineering partner Zytek
- Electric powertrain does away with rare earth metals
- Parrot sues Audi subsidiary over lost project
- Continental cranks up radar sensor production
- Ice warning from the cloud
- Angular sensor communicates via SENT protocol
- Traffic flow: Cooperative systems beat driver assistance
- University of Parma refines autonomous driving
- Freescale, Broadcom bring surround view to automotive mainstream
- Renault cockpit woos the connected lifestyle
- Hella creates eye-catcher with curved OLEDs
- Supplying DC input power for HEV testing
- NSR Noise Suppressors: Wirewound Resistors
- Virtual Hardware “In-the-Loop”: Earlier Testing for Automotive Applications
- Open Standards and Product Differentiation
- Camera Solutions with Micrel Power Management and Networking
- Deterministic Real-Time Ethernet Platform
- Using Ethernet Applications to Optimize Automotive Electronics Platforms