Dual step-down DC/DC-converter operates from 3V to 60V
Independent input, shutdown, feedback, soft-start, current limit and comparator pins for each channel simplify complex power supply tracking/sequencing requirements. The LT3992's switching frequency is user programmable from 250kHz to 2.25MHz, enabling the designer to optimize efficiency while avoiding critical noise-sensitive frequency bands.
To optimize efficiency and component size, both internal converters have a programmable maximum current limit and are synchronized via the LT3992’s internal oscillator or an external clock input. The converters run 180° out of phase to further reduce voltage ripple and external component size. Multiple regulators can be synchronized via an external clock output to provide additional voltage rails. The outputs can also be combined for high current applications, enabling the LT3992 to deliver up to 6A of continuous output current. The device’s 5mm x 5mm QFN-32 or thermally enhanced TSSOP-38 packages and high switching frequency, which keep external capacitors and inductors small, provide a compact, thermally efficient footprint. The LT3992’s main switcher utilizes high efficiency 3.5A, 325mVCESAT switches, with the necessary oscillator, control and logic circuitry integrated into a single die.
Special design techniques enable high efficiency over a wide input voltage range and the device’s current-mode topology provides fast transient response and excellent loop stability. The LT3992 offers a frequency divider on one channel, enabling it to run at frequencies 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8 of the other channel’s frequency providing high step-down ratios while minimizing external component size. Enhanced short-circuit protection and die temperature monitor offer additional levels of protection. Other features include thermal shutdown and independent power good flags.
The LT3992EUH is offered in a 5mm x 5mm 32-lead QFN package and the LT3992EFE is packaged in a thermally enhanced FMEA tolerant TSSOP-38. Industrial grade versions, the LT3992IUH and LT3992IFE, are tested and guaranteed to operate from a -40°C to 125°C operating junction temperature range. A high temperature version, the LT3992HFE is tested and guaranteed to operate from a -40°C to 150°C operating junction temperature. All versions of the LT3992 are available from stock.
For more information, visit www.linear.com/product/LT3992
- Supercapacitor innovation promises panel-powered cars
- Synchronous step-down DC/DC offers 93% efficiency at automotive voltages
- 40V, 400mA output, step-down regulator has dual tracking LDOs
- Breakthrough for traction batteries? Ultra-fast battery charges in 2 minutes
- Research platform refines EV battery production processes
- 36V monolithic 1A push-pull DC/DC transformer driver
- 1A, 1.5 MHz, 65V boost/inverter DC/DC converter
- Automotive/industrial buck controller maintains efficiency at high conversion ratios
- MIT, Fraunhofer research future mobility
- Step-down switcher offers very high efficiency, handles cold-crank
- DC/DC converter enables broad range of topologies
- Power USB VBUS in Autos with the LT8697
- Platform adresses graphics-rich embedded applications
- Fraunhofer, Johnson Controls develop battery cooling solutions
- Forward controller simplifies high-voltage control in vehicles
- Virtual car key, Lidar sensors and more: Valeo flexes its muscles
- Noise cancellation: The sounds of silence in the car
- Researchers unlock potential of phased-array radar for automotive deployment
- Consumer chips in the car? Experts demand adequate design processes
- Renesas shifts automotive centre of gravity to Europe
- Sensor package saves cost, meets ASIL D
- NXP extends NFC ecosystem to the car
- Vehicle-to-X technology: 1.300 km drive starts at electronica
- Bosch brings electronic fuel system, connectivity to Asian motorbikes
- Eye-tracking, the next wave in HMI design?
- Freescale extends development environment for in-vehicle Ethernet
- Pixel chip sparks energy-efficient intelligent LED headlamps
- Spansion CEO: "Quality happens at the system level"
- Software eases ISO26262 implementation
- Research project significantly improves electronics reliability
- Making cars safer through technology innovation
- Supplying DC input power for HEV testing
- NSR Noise Suppressors: Wirewound Resistors
- Virtual Hardware “In-the-Loop”: Earlier Testing for Automotive Applications
- Open Standards and Product Differentiation
- Camera Solutions with Micrel Power Management and Networking
- Deterministic Real-Time Ethernet Platform