Electric vehicles to boost analog IC demand
According to a recent report by Strategy Analytics (Boston), 92 percent of the chips used in EVs and HEVs are analog ICs. Between 2011 and 2018, the value of analog ICs for EVs and HEVs is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 23 percent, well-above the projected CAGR of 7.2 percent for standard automotive analog and linear products, according to Strategy Analytics.
Strategy Analytics estimates that power and non-power analog circuits make up 78 percent and 14 percent, respectively, of the combined semiconductor market value from HEV and EV powertrain control produced today. High power IGBT used in AC traction motor inverters will continue to account for the majority of the power analog demand, the firm projects.
"Digital logic will provide the brains for hybrid electric and pure electric vehicles drive, but analog semiconductor chips will provide the bulk of the interface, measurement, protection and muscle-power for control of these alternative powertrains, creating significant new business opportunities for analog IC vendors," said Chris Webber, vice president of Strategy Analytics's global automotive practice, in a statement.
- England unveils incentives to switch to electric cars
- Nissan pumps GBP26.5m into advanced lithium-ion battery plant in UK
- Ford opts for Analog Devices’ UTP-based Automotive Audio Bus for infotainment
- Faraday Future unveils electric super-racer
- In-car audio development platform applies ADI’s A2B technology
- Ford electrifies development of new models
- ABB, Microsoft form electric vehicle charging alliance
- Queensland University warns of security flaws in connected vehicles
- Porsche reveals prototype battery-driven sports car
- Apple iCar: Do iCare?
- Green mobility, automation drive power electronics market
- Electric double-decker buses lead London's zero emission drive
- On the search for more power efficiency in electric powertrains
- Nevada 'Electric Highway' to let EVs cross state
- Sensata climbs automotive MEMS ranking
- BMW funds battery-less solar storage
- High-temperature electronics operate at 300°C
- Bosch's business fires on – almost - all cylinders
- ST shifts focus to automotive, IoT
- NXP Outlines Autonomous Vehicle Advances
- BMW launches energy storage company
- Does your car need to know everything about you?
- Innovative powertrain reduces fuel consumption significantly
- Biometrics on the steering wheel: the ultimate life tracker
- Safety-related flaws at inacceptable level, study concludes
- Automotive platform addresses IoT for connected cars
- Report: Micro-hybrids beat all-electric vehicles in reducing CO2 emission
- New hydrogen technology could trigger fuel cell breakthrough
- Bosch tests automated driving in Japan
- BMW brings laser light to mass market in 7 series
- Automotive Circuit Protection using Littelfuse Automotive TVS Diodes
- A Smart Way to Drive ECU Consolidation
- Autonomous Driving: An Eye on the Road Ahead
- Automotive Designs Demand Low EMI Synchronous Buck Converters
- Intel helps to Turbocharge Infotainment Systems Designs
- Making cars safer through technology innovation
- Supplying DC input power for HEV testing