Magnetic sensor has discrete protection components incorporated into package
Once encapsulated, this DMP can be welded or soldered directly to a rugged connector or termination and further potted or over-molded. The dual mold package simply makes the need for a conventional PCB arrangement redundant. Dedicated ears allow greater accuracy levels to be realized when mounting.
The sensor device can be used in either linear or rotary position sensing applications. It features fully programmable transfer functionality, selectable analog and pulse width modulation (PWM) output modes, open/short diagnostics, on-board diagnostics, under-voltage detection and over-voltage protection. A SENT-SAE J2716 capable version is currently under development.
According to Vincent Hiligsmann, Marketing Manager for Sensors at Melexis, the MLX90364 addresses the automotive industry's demands for more electrical, mechanical and environmental robustness. "Combining the dual mold package with our latest generation of Triaxis position sensor ICs, means that the vulnerability often associated with use of PCBs when they are exposed to high temperatures or high levels of vibration can be avoided. By using fewer components and lowering the number of solder-joints by more than a factor of 3, the risk of failures is decreased greatly. PCB-less mounting allied to contact-less sensing offers a solution that is fully optimized for long term reliable performance, he said” Melexis is already shipping it's NoPCB solution to several automotive tier 1 suppliers across the globe.
The MLX90364 is qualified according to the AEC-Q100 and Q200 automotive standards. It has passed extreme robustness validation tests, such as long exposures to ambient temperatures up to 170 ⁰C.
For more information go to our website www.melexis.com/nopcb
- Programmable Hall effect current sensor
- Camera sensor for ADAS applications offers high dynamic range
- MEMS sensor measures acceleration, yaw rate in six axes
- "No car will be an island"
- Automotive applications drive magnetic sensor demand
- Safety IC has pressure sensor inside
- Proximity and gesture recognition sensors spread to automotive dashboards
- LIN bus motor control IC simplifies 12V automotive actuator designs
- Triaxis position sensor with SENT protocol for safety critical applications
- Next generation wheel balancing transducer is fully watertight
- Transmissive optical sensors target encoder applications
- LIN transceiver offers very low standby current plus strong EMC/ESD behaviour
- Enhanced LIN communication chips integrate voltage regulation, watchdog functionality
- Factory-programmable linear Hall-effect sensor ICs for high-bandwidth applications
- Bosch highlights radar technology for safety-relevant driver assistant systems
- Jaguar docks on to Intel for next-gen infotainment systems
- Interface integrates e-vehicles into smart grid
- Kvaser proposes backward-compatible, high-bandwidth CAN version
- Women demand different connectivity functions in the car
- Smart cars offer "once in a generation chance" to UK industry, experts say
- Get your digital copy of EETimes Europe
- EV market is much more than passenger cars - and it's booming
- Emergency Steer Assistant can avoid collisions
- MOST 150 Star topology interconnects driver assistant systems
- Faurecia, Magneti Marelli jointly integrate tablets and smartphones into cars
- Field test fathoms out economic potential for electric mobility
- Researchers significantly improve lithium-air batteries
- Volvo starts large test with robot cars on public roads
- Automotive drives new processor architectures
- Bosch suggests cars to coast for better fuel efficiency