Melexis achieves MOST compliance for fiber optic transceivers in SMD package
These fiber optic transceivers (FOTs) are suitable for 25Mbit/s (LVTTL) and 150Mbit/s (LVDS) communication respectively. The double compliance confirms the role of Melexis as innovative driver towards Surface Mount Device (SMD) solutions that will offer increased performance at lower cost.
After testing the two types of fiber optic transceivers (FOTs) the official certification house granted both compliance to the MLX75608 (MOST25: 25Mbit/s, LVTTL protocol) and MLX75605 (MOST150: 150Mbit/s, LVDS protocol). By consequence these devices are added officially to the list of compliant devices, issued by the MOST cooperation.
fiber optic transceivers (FOTs) are necessary key elements in infotainment networks in cars. FOTs are capable of both receiving and transmitting data that are transported inside the car over plastic optical fibers. In this manner various applications including audio, video and navigation systems can communicate with a central computer unit.
Melexis is the first company to present a single-package solution in Surface Mount Technology for both MOST25 and MOST150 standards. Previously always two devices (transmitter/receiver) in through-hole mount (THM) technology needed to be purchased.
The single-package solution allows a more efficient and hence cheaper fabrication.
Compared to the existing THM FOTs, the SMD FOTs will also drastically reduce the cost of ownership as they can be handled with state-of-the-art automated pick and place equipment and moreover lead free reflow soldering processes can be used. In addition, the SMD package consumes less space on board and significantly improves Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) performance. EMI is a key concern in all cars but especially in hybrid and electrical vehicles. In summary, for both economic and technological reasons, a bright future is awaiting the SMD FOTs. With the twofold declaration of compliance Melexis is taking the lead as the innovative driver in the MOST market.
For more information visit www.melexis.com
- Pressure sensors withstand harshest environmental conditions
- LF transmitter chip enables innovative start / immobiliser functions
- Image sensor targets driverless cars
- Programmable Hall sensor supports 2-wire operation
- Infrared sensor array sees a wider field of view, with low-noise imaging
- Wireless charging reference design targets smartphones in cars
- Pre-driver chip targets automotive high-current motor applications
- Time-of-flight sensor brings gesture recognition to car cockpit
- Stage win for ams against Melexis in patent claim
- Hall effect switch does away with mechanical adjustments
- Higher integration in LIN transceiver chips
- Programmable Hall effect current sensor
- "No car will be an island"
- LIN bus motor control IC simplifies 12V automotive actuator designs
- Triaxis position sensor with SENT protocol for safety critical applications
- LA Auto Show: Hydrogen fuel cell drive is back
- Industry embraces 48V supply in the aim of bringing down emissions
- How Audi hopes to keep Google at bay
- Volvo airs cloud-based cyclist protection system
- Autonomous driving creates billion-dollar market
- Advanced wheel hub drive passes extensive driving tests
- Software-Defined Car, IoT and Virtual Car Keys: The top ten stories in 2014
- BMW develops data goggles for drivers
- BMW shows automated valet parking with GPS-less navigation
- Smart PCBs for smaller ECUs: Infineon invests in PCB manufacturer
- Korea, France join forces on driverless cars R&D
- Project simplifies multicore software development
- Electronic horizon takes centre stage at Continental's CES exhibit
- BMW, Tesla in talks about car battery alliance
- Motor driver platform addresses highly integrated mechatronic designs
- Making cars safer through technology innovation
- Supplying DC input power for HEV testing
- NSR Noise Suppressors: Wirewound Resistors
- Virtual Hardware “In-the-Loop”: Earlier Testing for Automotive Applications
- Open Standards and Product Differentiation
- Camera Solutions with Micrel Power Management and Networking
- Deterministic Real-Time Ethernet Platform