Melexis achieves MOST compliance for fiber optic transceivers in SMD package
These fiber optic transceivers (FOTs) are suitable for 25Mbit/s (LVTTL) and 150Mbit/s (LVDS) communication respectively. The double compliance confirms the role of Melexis as innovative driver towards Surface Mount Device (SMD) solutions that will offer increased performance at lower cost.
After testing the two types of fiber optic transceivers (FOTs) the official certification house granted both compliance to the MLX75608 (MOST25: 25Mbit/s, LVTTL protocol) and MLX75605 (MOST150: 150Mbit/s, LVDS protocol). By consequence these devices are added officially to the list of compliant devices, issued by the MOST cooperation.
fiber optic transceivers (FOTs) are necessary key elements in infotainment networks in cars. FOTs are capable of both receiving and transmitting data that are transported inside the car over plastic optical fibers. In this manner various applications including audio, video and navigation systems can communicate with a central computer unit.
Melexis is the first company to present a single-package solution in Surface Mount Technology for both MOST25 and MOST150 standards. Previously always two devices (transmitter/receiver) in through-hole mount (THM) technology needed to be purchased.
The single-package solution allows a more efficient and hence cheaper fabrication.
Compared to the existing THM FOTs, the SMD FOTs will also drastically reduce the cost of ownership as they can be handled with state-of-the-art automated pick and place equipment and moreover lead free reflow soldering processes can be used. In addition, the SMD package consumes less space on board and significantly improves Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) performance. EMI is a key concern in all cars but especially in hybrid and electrical vehicles. In summary, for both economic and technological reasons, a bright future is awaiting the SMD FOTs. With the twofold declaration of compliance Melexis is taking the lead as the innovative driver in the MOST market.
For more information visit www.melexis.com
- Time-of-flight sensor brings gesture recognition to car cockpit
- Stage win for ams against Melexis in patent claim
- Hall effect switch does away with mechanical adjustments
- Higher integration in LIN transceiver chips
- Programmable Hall effect current sensor
- "No car will be an island"
- LIN bus motor control IC simplifies 12V automotive actuator designs
- Triaxis position sensor with SENT protocol for safety critical applications
- LIN transceiver offers very low standby current plus strong EMC/ESD behaviour
- Enhanced LIN communication chips integrate voltage regulation, watchdog functionality
- Gesture and proximity sensing ICs enable next-gen automotive HMI
- Low voltage Hall effect sensor offers digital output
- Programmable Hall effect sensor addresses fast response current sensing applications
- Sensor interface IC facilitates implementation of gesture recognition applications
- LIN transceiver with integrated voltage regulator and strong EMC/ESD behaviour
- Daimler introduces robot truck concept
- This is how the cockpit of the future might look like
- 100 yeas old: Traffic lights switch to smart mode
- Jaguar Land Rover concept uses entire windscreen as Head-up display
- Will laser ignition replace the venerable spark plug?
- Wireless charging - a more cost-effective approach
- Surfer triples Li-ion battery performance with sandy solution
- MIT, Fraunhofer research future mobility
- Inductive charging takes shape at BMW and Daimler
- Head-up display integrates Augmented Reality
- Researchers devise high-capacity supercaps for cars
- Takeover catapults Visteon into first league of automotive electronics
- XCore architecture attracts Bosch investment
- VW grabs Blackberry's European R&D lab
- Next-gen HiFi competition takes place in the car
- Supplying DC input power for HEV testing
- NSR Noise Suppressors: Wirewound Resistors
- Virtual Hardware “In-the-Loop”: Earlier Testing for Automotive Applications
- Open Standards and Product Differentiation
- Camera Solutions with Micrel Power Management and Networking
- Deterministic Real-Time Ethernet Platform