Valeo makes your car engine hybrid
Interviewed by French radio station Europe 1, Henri Trintignac, Valeo's director of Electric Vehicle Activity, claimed that Valeo SA has developed an electrification solution for the powertrain, Hybrid4All, which enables car manufacturers to turn a traditional engine – diesel or gasoline - into a hybrid engine, at an affordable price by using simple and standardized components.
Valeo claimed the “Hybrid4all” architecture is based on a compact motor generator which uses a low voltage electrical system (48V). Costs are thus reduced, making this solution more acceptable for the mass market.
In the “Hybrid4all” architecture, the electric motor, which assists the ICE, can be installed in different positions: in front of the ICE (on the accessory drive belt), after the gear-box or between the two. This solution integrates Valeo's enhanced Stop-Start, regenerative braking and torque assist functions.
The system is claimed to enable fuel savings of more than 15 percent on an average gasoline engine vehicle. The original “Hybrid4all” electro-technical architecture means that the motor generator provides a high level of power (up to 15kW) and takes up no more room than a conventional alternator.
Valeo said "Hybrid4all" recovers energy during deceleration (regenerative braking), and re-uses it during acceleration assisting the combustion engine.
"This system enables to reduce CO2 emissions by 15 percent," told Trintignac to Europe 1. A car driver now spending 100 euros ($120) per month will see his/her fuel budget drop to 85 euros ($102), he continued.
Valeo claimed a 15.5-percent CO2 reduction with a prototype car, a Peugeot 207 1.6 L THP. The system is designed for small cars such as the Renault Twingo, Clio and Opel Corsa. So far, these car models could not be equipped with hybrid engines because of the cost.
Cars equipped with the electrical system are expected to be available in 2017, Trintignac concluded.
Article by courtesy of EE Times
- Bosch drives down fuel consumption - in a salami technique
- Automotive microcontroller benchmark takes energy efficiency into account
- Graphics chip recognizes nearby pedestrians and bicycles
- Study investigates V2V communications with motorcycles
- Lithium-ion batteries withstand 10.000 charging cycles
- Continental supplies powertrain for Renault's e-car Zoe
- Time for a new UI programming paradigm
- Audi picks Analog Devices for semiconductor program
- Volvo builds small e-car series for Siemens
- CAN transceiver family supports CAN FD, offers chokeless EMC performance
- Open Standards and Product Differentiation
- AV architecture on ARM Cortex SOCs
- Using Ethernet Applications to Optimize Automotive Electronics Platforms
- What's New In Power Management Electronics
- Communications between a plug-in EV and the EV supply equipment
- TTEthernet Scalable Real-Time Ethernet Platform