Wrap-around view technology for driver visual assistance
The images on that surface are converted into those seen from any desired point-of-view using the technology of 3D virtual projection. By using this special method, the images will be displayed with much less distortion. The image impression is significantly different from those of conventional systems. It will make it easier for drivers to recognise obstacles around their vehicles.
Furthermore this system uses the point-of-view interpolation technology. It is possible to alter the perspective of view. An attractive feature is the smooth transition of the driver's line-of-sight when the display content is switched from one image to another. Also the car model can be rendered into the wrap-around image.
The combination of the rendered car model and the interpolation technology ensures that drivers do not lose the orientation and instantly recognise in what direction they are looking. The wrap-around view image combined with the rendered car model enables good measurement of the proportion of obstacles around the car. The latency of the system is reduced to a minimum; therefore this system becomes a safety benefit.
Fujitsu Semiconductor has developed the MB86R11 'Emerald-L' chip for such applications. It is available now and has a huge list of new features. The processor core is the higher performance ARM Cortex-A9 core-based SoC, which also has an integrated ARM-Neon-SIMD engine. The four video input ports of 'Emerald' enable simultaneous processing of various different video images. The 'Emerald' is capable of supporting up to four input functions, each with high resolution concurrently. To fulfill its work the Emerald Family supports up to 1GByte or DDR2 800 or DDR3 1066 RAM and NAND, NOR and managed NAND flash.
Another benefit is the multi-layer concept with up to 8 layers and the 3 independent display controllers. This allows very flexible and prioritised graphic rendering based on OpenGL ES 2.0. The automotive standard resources and communications protocols CAN, MediaLB (Media Local Bus) and Ethernet are also implemented into the 'Emerald' family. There are two versions of the 'Emerald' family – 'Emerald-L' MB86R11, which is available now, and 'Emerald-P' MB86R12, which is almost identical to 'Emerald-L’ but with additional APIX interfaces from Inova Semiconductors. Engineering samples of ‘Emerald-P’ will be available in the second half of 2011.
Visit Fujitsu Semiconductor Europe at http://emea.fujitsu.com/semiconductor
- Macronix rolls out European expansion plan
- LTE data communication module targets automotive applications
- Automotive-qualified 100-V transistors boost power efficiency
- ZF withdraws from joint venture with Bosch
- Market for dimensional metrology faces growth spurt
- App looks into vehicle electronics
- Sensata to pay $1-bn for tire pressure sensor leader
- MIMO antennae offer LTE connectivity
- IP builds common-mode noise-resilient audio CODEC for automotive infotainment SoCs
- In-vehicle infotainment steps up to USB3, adds wireless charging
- HMI design tool supports OpenGL ES 3.0
- Infineon fires on all cylinders
- Banning cellphones while driving does not decrease accidents, researchers find
- QNX launches safety-optimised auto operating system
- IP builds automotive-grade-0, non-volatile memory in 75% less area
- EE Times' annual salary & opinion survey report
- Infineon's secret weapon: Dresden Fab, 48V car battery
- BMW connects car through Smartwatch app
- Daimler to test autonomous driving in California
- Study challenges Tesla's Gigafactory figures, predicts battery overcapacity
- Structural electronics - the next big thing in smart cars?
- LTE successfully tested in V2X scenario
- Radar-based blind spot assist to eliminate collisions during turning
- Smartphone integration shifts automotive processor demand
- Lithium ion batteries: new materials multiply charging capability
- ZF swallows TRW Automotive to form world's second largest supplier
- Centralised architecture: Apps as driver assistant systems
- Battery-pack controller manages 14-cell lithium ion sources to ASIL-C
- App looks into vehicle electronics
- Safety package protects small electric vehicles
- Making cars safer through technology innovation
- Supplying DC input power for HEV testing
- NSR Noise Suppressors: Wirewound Resistors
- Virtual Hardware “In-the-Loop”: Earlier Testing for Automotive Applications
- Open Standards and Product Differentiation
- Camera Solutions with Micrel Power Management and Networking
- Deterministic Real-Time Ethernet Platform